Crewe FC V Eagle Sports 5/5/18 On a scorcher of a Saturday, Crewe FC travelled to face Eagle Sports FC. With only a handful of games left of the season, the remaining games would be the Blues only chance to pick up points to cement their current position in the table. The heat would definitely play a factor in the match, and the less said about the corrugated metal dugouts in this weather the better but with the team talks finished and both teams out on the pitch, the game was ready to begin. With the sun continuing to beat down, Crewe began the second half and after two minutes Nathan Southern was causing the defence troubles, collecting a loose ball after a poor header, turning and scuffing a shot just wide of the post. After a sluggish opening 10 minutes, Crewe again went close, a great ball by Sam Roberts picked out Joe on the left wing who drilled a cross across the face of goal to Tristan Sword at the back post, who then played it across again to Derice Richards who poked a first-time effort over the bar. In the 12th minute a passing move by Eagle Sports was finished comfortably, and the home team had the lead. In the 21st minute a cross by Joe was headed over by an under-pressure Richards. Straight down the other end, and it was up to Sword to clear an effort off the line from a corner before Eagle Sports hit the post with the follow up effort. Another slow period in the game was almost brought to an end when in the 37th minute a long freekick by Arran Lyons was only half cleared to the edge of the box where Richards blazed his snapshot over. Just before half time a great last ditch tackle by Joe denied the Eagles forward that was bearing down on goal. However the home team wouldn’t be denied for long, when their striker spun, burst through the defence, took it round the keeper and finishing to hand them a 2-0 lead before the break. However Crewe had a chance to pull one back in the dying seconds when Sword cut in from the left at the top of the box, but his curled effort went inches wide of the top corner. With that both teams retreated to their respective changing rooms, glad of the respite from the sun but wary of a frosty reception from the manger. No let-up in the blazing sun as the teams made their way back out, the smell of deep heat replaced by that of sun cream. The home team kicked off the second half, and both teams put up a valiant effort for the opening ten minutes despite neither team fashioning a meaningful chance until the 54th minute. Roberts pinpoint pass through the opposition defence fed Southern in 1on1 with the keeper but the linesman’s flag was up before the forward could pull the trigger. At the other end Lyons made a good save to deny an Eagles winger at the near post. The game ebbed again with both teams struggling to carve out chances, but Joe remained alert to make another fine tackle to deny Eagles a clear shot on goal in the 67th minute. In the 73rd minute Southern tried his luck from the edge of the box, but his effort went wide of the right hand post with the keeper scrambling. The best chance of the half for Crewe arrived in the 79th minute when some well worked passing between Danny Massey, Southern, Roberts and Richards eventually allowed Harry Ashworth to be teed up on the edge of the box, but his first time effort crept agonisingly wide of the far post. The miss would prove costly as two minutes later Eagles extended their lead when they buried a header from a floated corner to take a 3-0 lead. It was only a point blank save from Lyons and a superb goal line Clearance by Harry Maclennan that prevented Crewe from falling further behind just two minutes later. Sword was again causing problems on the left, yet again cutting inside and driving an effort goalwards that this time took a deflection before rolling out for a corner. In the final minute, Crewe’s efforts were compounded when Eagles picked up a fourth goal to put the final nail in the coffin. A speculative long ranger from Southern brought he game to a damp finish, despite the unwavering heat. A more than disappointing 4-0 defeat for Crewe FC. Crewe FC V Knutsford FC 9/5/18 An evening game for Crewe who welcomed league leaders Knutsford to the Cumberland. After a poor result in their previous game, could the Blues kick on and put in a better performance midweek? Knutsford began the first half, and both teams threw themselves into a full blooded opening ten minutes. With both teams pressing, it took until the 10th minute for the first chance arrive when a Knutsford freekick was tipped onto the bar by the Crewe keeper. However just two minutes later, Knutsford did take the lead, heading in from a well worked corner. Crewe nearly found an equaliser almost immediately, Nathan Southern scooping an effort first time that dipped over the stranded Knutsford keeper, but dropped agonisingly wide of the post. In the 19th minute the away team doubled their lead following a mistake in the Crewe defence allowing a Knutsford forward to pinch the loose ball, round the keeper and finish with the covering defender unable to hook the ball off the line. Southern again almost replied immediately, but his well hit shot on the run was straight at the goalkeeper. The game then hit a lull with both teams unable to breakdown the others defence, defences remaining resolute until the 35th minute. A fierce Knutsford shot from close range was well parried away after making its way through a crowd of players. Just before half time Southern robbed the ball of the toes of the stuttering keeper, played the ball to Sam Roberts who reversed the pass to Southern but the forward fired point blank into the recovering keeper. That proved to be the final chance of the half, and both teams retreated to the changing rooms as the floodlights burst into life. Due to unforeseen circumstances the second half is reported by Conor Alcock. I think it’s fair to say he got the better 45 minutes. Crewe kicked off the second half, and kicked into gear immediately when Southern burst through on the left of the box but his strike went wide of the post. Straight down to the other end of the pitch and only a point blank save denied Knutsford after a powerful headed effort. Just two minutes later another good save at the near post denied the away team from a freekick on the edge of the penalty area. It was Crewe however who struck next; some good play deep in the Knutsford half was rounded off by Tristan Sword who fired a 20 yard half volley that curved away from the opposition keeper and into the bottom right corner. In the 63rd minute Crewe’s confidence was growing, and they were seeing a lot more of the ball, Harry Ashworth and Southern linking up well before the move eventually broke down on the edge of the Knutsford box. The home team almost levelled the game, when another well worked move eventually saw the ball played out wide to Sword who delivered a fantastic cross that was inches away from being converted by both Danny Massey and Roberts. With Crewe unable to capitalise, Knutsford pulled another goal ahead in the 77th minute when a freekick was dinked into the box and headed over the keeper with a deft flick. Knutsford then got a second goal in two minutes when a neat turn on the edge of the box allowed the forward in 1 on 1 before finishing clinically into the bottom corner and make it 4-1 to the away side. In the 85th minute Crewe gave themselves a faint chance of a way into the game when a fizzed Ashworth corner was deftly volleyed in by Rich Elcock, an excellent finish by the winger. Crewe’s effort to get into the game began to show soon after with cramp beginning to set in amongst the players. The final chance would come the way of Crewe. Ashworth again involved, firing in another corner that found its way across the face of goal with no player, Crewe or otherwise able to get a decisive touch on the ball. With that the referee brought the game to a close. A spirited second half display by Crewe, who really deserved more from the game having controlled the majority of it. Crewe FC V Whaley Bridge 12/5/18 Crewe FC hosted Whaley Bridge at the Cumberland on Saturday looking to get back to winning ways after a disappointing but spirited defeat on Wednesday to Knutsford. With just three games left of the season to play, the Blues were looking to end the season on a high, and string together a series of good results. With an early kick off and fine weather, it looked set to be a fine afternoon of football, but…well…what do I know. Crewe kicked off the first half but it was the opposition who kicked on in the early stages. A procession of headers from the away team in the opening ten minutes troubling the Crewe defence but not the goal. However, this profligacy by the away team wouldn’t last, a precise through ball found a Whaley Bridge striker who finished calmly 1 on 1 with Arran Lyons. Three minutes later the away side doubled their lead, dispatching a shot from the left of the box after a low cross for the right wing. In the 21st minute a long shot by Rich Elcock fizzed wide of the post. In the 27th minute Whaley Bridge crashed a headed effort off the bar, with Crewe not heeding the earlier aerial warnings. With 34 minutes gone Nath Dyer fired a first time effort over the bar from the right side of the box. In the 41st minute Lyons got down quickly to make a smart stop, but the follow up was headed in from close range to give the away team a 3-0 lead before half time. With a minute left of the first half, Crewe’s most clear cut opportunity arrived. A dinked ball over the Whaley Bridge defence by Kieran O’connor played in Nathan Southern, who forced a point blank save from the keeper, with Tristan Sword unable to reach the rebound before his marker. Th final action of the first half saw Crewe go close, but the home team still headed for the dressing room 3 goals down. Whaley Bridge began the second half, and both teams went at each other with renewed vigour, both teams stifling the others attacks. However, ten minutes after the restart, a Whaley Bridge cross from the right was headed in from close range, 4-0 to the away side. In the 59th minute a first time volley by Elcock was fired straight at the keeper after a Dyer cross. It was the same two players linking up again in the 70th minute, when Dyers lofted ball was again eventually volleyed by Elcock, but this time his effort went over the bar. Just a minute later, Derice Richards fired an effort into a defender on the edge of the box, before Sam Roberts follow up effort was again deflected away by a Whaley Bridge body. 78 minutes gone and Whaly Bridge added a 5th when a kick by Lyons dopped to an opposition winger who tried a speculative effort that dipped over the stranded Crewe keeper. Just 2 minutes later, and Crewes day got even worse when a square ball was tapped in at the back post to give the away team a 6-0 lead. Crewe sought to gain at least a consolation, and in the 82nd minute Richards headed over from a dipping cross under plenty of pressure from the Whaley Bridge defence. The away team held on for the final 10 minutes, and the Crewe chances dried up as the seconds ticked by. The referee eventually brought a miserable afternoon for the Blues to a close, as Crewe succumbed to a 6-0 home loss.


View All